Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Maybe I should reconsider

I haven't bother to look very close into the 802.11n topic. As all of you know, we have for some time now been able go to our store and buy Draft-n equipment. That is supposed to be hardware implementing what is now know as the draft 802.11n specification; the new fast Wireless network. And further supposed to be easy upgradeable or cooperative with final Draft-n (or just -n) hardware.

My position on this up to now has been to not buy Draft-n stuff, because of 1) can I be sure it will actually work with final-stuff, 2) there isn't much of client support yet, and 3) I expect the final stuff to be just around the corner. I truly belived that, until I read over at extremetech today:

Draft 2 of 802.11n Standard Sails Through: "Following those changes, Draft 3.0 is expected to emerge in late 2007 and gain approval by early 2008. The IEEE says Draft 3.0 will, for all intents and purposes, be the 'final 802.11n' in all but name, and that the final spec is now expected in April 2009."


April 2009! That's not just around the corner. I'm not sure I can wait that long. At least that is a problem if we want to go for VoIP on WiFi at work. Not that we are seriously considering that at the moment, but it is really something I like to be able to do not very far into the future. I probably have to go back to the place, which I do not know where are, where I can think long and uninterrupted thoughts, figuring out what is the best thing to do. Should we go draft-n now? Should we go draft-n when it is really Draft-2.0-n or is it best just waiting.

Besides, draft-n is popping in on clients all over the place now. Apple have it, thinkpad-which-we-dont-like-after-lenovo-takeover seems to have some new models with it in the pipe, Dell have cards, Engadget have reported on Asus laptops with it, which we do love more than lenovo these days. And the list will go on and on, and I do not want to be left out in the slow and cold dark.

That was just a few thoughts an evening in the middle of march.

Take care, folks!

No comments: