Thursday, March 22, 2007

Flickr: Popular cameras

Flickr: Camera Finder: "Most Popular Cameras in the Flickr Community
% of members

* Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
* Nikon D50
* Canon EOS 20D
* Nikon D70
* Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi"




Flickr shows this graphics on their site in the popular cameras section. I think it is in particular interesting to observe the trends of the XT compared to the XTi. When XTi first is out, the curves for XT and XTi continue increasing - XT owners keep their XT and discusses with spouse about switching gears. Flickr attract a few of the new XTi owners. Then suddenly the XT curve starts dropping almost with the same rate as XTi increases; XT owners have made up their mind, or convinced the spouse - lets go for the new stuff. The decrease in XT isn't as fast as the increase in XTi in this period, as some of the new XTi flickr memebers keeps the XT around because it still works, and they are more familiar with it. After a while, this stabilize - some XT owners think XT is good enough, some thinks the new XTi isn't good enough and decide to wait for the next one, some keeps both, etc...

It is also interesting to see that this whole story is completely decoupled from the other cameras, like the Nicons and Canon 2oD/30D. Different camps.

Now, what about me? I (or my wallet (or my spouse)) have decided that I wait until the next one. Really, I want the 40D i guess, whatever that will be. I presume EF-S mount (x1.6 crop), DigicIII, better high-iso/noise ratio, etc. But I'm not sure what my wallet (or my spouse) decide.

That's enough for todays observation. Take care, folks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems like Canon had managed customer lockin; not only to the brand itself but acually to certain subcategories as well.

Nice piece.