Thursday, August 02, 2007

New stuff comming up!

Soon, the summer of 2007 is in our memory only, as just another summer the goes from future into history. Norway is slowly getting back on track with new energy. Now, the summer hasn't been the best thinking about weather, so if the fall is great it may take a few more weeks before we are really ready for a new long and dark period. At least we are collectively slowly returning to normal life.

And to get up to speed as quick as possible, I finally decided it was time switching some of my equipment. The Nokia e61i does it job just fine, but most of the time I find it is not the right tool for me. There are occasions of course when I type out an email or two using the nice keyboard on the phone, both the gmail app and the web browser are quite functional as well as some of the other apps. But this summer I have still used the Fujitsu P1510 a lot. Not for its size, as it is a bit too big usually (if I really need the big iron I grab the Macbook pro remember). But it has the stuff I need to do serious things, which is the reason I use it so much. But I could have used it more had it been even smaller. The phone however, is just fine as a phone and good for some email and web browsing when I don't feel like bringing the small computer. Still, too often I find it a bit to limited for what I need to do.

As mentioned before, I have looked at the Oqo O2 for some time, but did not find a retailer when I visited US earlier this summer. But there are of course online dealers, and today I finally ordered one. It should be small enough to carry most of the time and really just as powerful as my P1510, as the Oqo has more memory and a comparable cpu. The Oqo will therefore replace my P1510. If I carry the Oqo as much as I think I will, the e61i will also be replaced with something else. I'm thinking Sony Ericsson K850, but I do not want to rush that - I'll test the Oqo for a while first, keeping the Nokia until I am comfortable with my new setup.

All who knows me have probably figure out already that I will load some kind of Linux on the Oqo, so expect some information on linux on Oqo O2 as soon as I have the machine in the door. I probably go for a standard Ubuntu, but I'll keep eye on the Ubuntu mobile project as well.

Let the wait begin! And as always, take care.

No comments: