Monday, August 13, 2007

Linux on the Oqo O2

I'm on to the main task of the week... installation of Linux on my newly aquired Oqo O2.

I started out doing some experiments with Puppy linux to make sure that basic things like the display and wireless network is functional. Puppy linux is a great little linux distribution that can be booted right off a USB pen, very convenient for checking out simple things. Next, I grabbed the latest Ubuntu, v. 7.04, and booted the live-cd to verify that Ubuntu works just as well as puppy. No suprise there. As the screen on the oqo is quite small, only 800x480 pixels, the graphical installer of Ubuntu really does not work so well. By ticking the checkbox for an alternate cd on the Ubuntu download page, you can get an iso image that contains a textbased installer instead. I grabbed and burned that one, and went on to the installation task.

Right now, I have wiped the Windows XP from the machine, replacing it with the Ubuntu. More reports later on!

Take care!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please help!
I tried to boot my OQO Model 02 from a USB thumb-drive with Puppy Linux. But I cannot find a Boot-from-USB in the OQO BIOS.

Robert

Åsmund Ødegård said...

It's there, but not so easy to find! Let's see if I remember this correctly.

In the middle section of the booting page you set the boot ordering among the drives. On the left section, however, you can map drive letters (like 'drive A') to various things. What you have to do is using arrow keys to go left and for instance to drive A. Using +/- (I think) you should be able to map this drive to USB floppy. Likewise, you can map drive B to USB hardrive. Afterwards you can go back to the middle section and put the drives you mapped to USB before drive C (default mapped to the internal hardrive) in the list. Now, you should be able to but from a USB pen.

Please, experiment with this! If you can't get it to work, just get back to me and I'll go into bios, make notes, and write it up more precisely! I'm not sure what a pendrive is recognized as (floppy or drive), so please map both!

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I got a lot of experience about making bootable USB(Flash drive)totally-install Ubuntu7.04.

For the size 128MB(choose USB Floppy or USB ZIP's OK)
And it should be DSL ....)

For Ubuntu6.10~7.04 2GB+ 4GB's better,and must be USB HDD.Champ Kuo