Saturday, April 28, 2007

How I get the Nokia E61i working for me

These are some notes a made while setting up the Nokia E61i phone such that it works for me.

My main requirements are:
  • Beeing able to call people from my phone (!)
  • Reading email, both my company imap account and GMail.
  • Syncing events and contacts with my MacOSX computer
  • Ssh from the phone
  • Using phone as modem for the Mac
  • Using phone as modem for my linux laptop
  • More secondary, IRC, GTalk, MSN, etc. from the phone.
  • And probably some more
During the first day, I just poked around on the phone, tried to figure out the Nokia S60 system. As I always have been a Sony Ericsson guy, this is all new to me. But fortunately quite easy to figure out. And I was of course able to call people and send SMS right away.

Email


Setting up email for my company account took me a few minutes. First time I started the email application on the phone, it asked me whether I wanted to set up an account. Sure, I did, so I went through the wizard, entering in imap and smtp server, account information and so on. After that, nothing works. Of course, I knew that our server requires SSL/TLS, but as I was not asked about security during the wizard phase, I just assumed it detected these things by it self. But it didn't. After consulting the booklet that came with the phone, I figured out where to go. After turning on SSL/TLS for both in- and outbound messages, and entering account information for our smtp server, I can send and receive messages. It even supports the concept of selecting a subset of folders on the imap server for synchronization, and actually just shows me thoses selected folders when I open the mail application. A life-saver for me. Now, I have set the phone up to automatically download email from 3 different folders, every day of the week between 16:00 and 02:00, every half hour. That should cover my requirements just fine.

Then I moved on with GMail. First, I opened the webbrowser using the WiFi connection we have at home. Entered in http://gmail.com, and on the top of the GMail page I was asked whether I want "Faster GMail for phone". Of course I want faster GMail, so I followed the link. This downloads a S60 (or maybe Java?) application that works quite nice on the E61i. So far I have to select the internet connection to use for the GMail application each time I start it, but I guess this is something that can be adjusted.

Bluetooth


Bluetooth is of course working flawlessly on this device. New to me was that I had to go into the Bluetooth system after pairing a device to mark it as an authorized device. On devices I have had in the past, this was a question during the pairing phase. But as soon as I figured this out, it really doesn't matter - just different ways of doing things.

After sending a few pictures to the desktop Mac just to see that Bluetooth is working, I proceed to the syncing issue. Actually, I attached the usb-phone cable first, and started iSync, but scan for new device in iSync does not find the phone. So I went to goole instead, and found this page at Nokia where it is possible to download an iSync plugin for many Nokia phones, the E61i beeing among them. As told on that page, I closed iSync, installed the plugin. Then I used the "Setup new Bluetooth device" in the Bluetooth system on the Mac, and put the phone in discoverable mode. The phone was detected just fine, and I had the option of selecting it for iSync use and as a modem. I selected both. Now iSync started up in the configure new device mode, with some reasonable defaults. I adjusted which calendars in iCal to synchronize with the phone and did a few other adjustments. Then I pressed the "Sync Devices" button in iSync, and suddenly all my events and all my contacts are on the phone. Quite nice.

As I selected the phone for use as a modem during the Bluetooth setup, that is probably ok already, but it remains to be tested.

Other connectivity from the phone


Ssh from the phone is coverd by installing PuTTY for S60. As stated on the s2putty page right now, I went for the "unofficial build" of PuTTY, as some nasty bugs on v.3 of S60 have been clean up in some recent builds. This PuTTY works very well. Actually, I went to the s2putty page using the browser on the phone on my WiFi connection, dowloaded a zip with the application. Within a minute, it was downloaded, installed, and running. As the E61i have a full keyboard, even with a Ctrl key, I can connect to a linux server at work, attaching a screen I have running, and instantly chat on irc channels and read news. And do all sorts of other things I regularly do in a shell.

As I want to be able to use Skype, GTalk and maybe even MSN from the phone, I also installed fring. The installation and getting started part is very nicely covered on that webpage, so I want say anything more about it. Just go there, type in the required information. You will then get a text message with download instruction, and in just a few minutes you have all the internet-phone and chat connectivity you ever want.

From time to time I may want to IRC directly from the phone. To cover this, I installed mIRGGI. It just works. Probably, I will usually use PuTTY, and the screen on my linux server, if I need to use IRC, but you'll never know. It is nice to have.

As you can see, most things are comming along quite nice. I guess there will be annoying things creeping up when I dig deeper down, but so far I am happy with the E61i. I will get back with a review on how it works for me in the daily life after I have used it for a week or two.

Stay tuned, and take care!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have the E61i too and a PB G4 with 10.4.9, but when using iSync I don't get the notes from iCal events and tasks on the phone ...

Anonymous said...

I think ical works fine with FP1 phones such us N95 or E90.
Can you try to run papyrus PIM software on your E61i and tell us if now it syncs the notes on the ical and to-dos tasks ?

Åsmund Ødegård said...

Thanks for comments!

I'm not sure what papurus PIM software is, but I will try to answer that and the other questions - stay tuned!

Unknown said...

http://www.sbsh.net/products/papyrus_symb/

this is papyrus.
I am using this to E61 but still ical notes (long text in to-do items ) do not sync with this although it has the function to support this.
So i was wondering if the E61i is better on this.

Åsmund Ødegård said...

@Philipp - you're right, no notes on iCal tasks and events.

@ANTONY - thank's for info on papyrus, I'll check that out.

Anonymous said...

Hello mandus ,
Have you tried papyrus on the E61i and see if it syncs now the notes inside tasks with the ical ?
Papyrus is the only software which has notes function inside to-dos and events.

antony

Åsmund Ødegård said...

Hi again Antony,

I still haven't find time to test papyrus, unfortunately. I keep you posted!

Tristão van de Haar Pinto said...

Hi Mandus
Nice to read your e61i post. Thx for writing it ;-) I'm thinking of getting one my self. The reviews look promising and your post is feeding my enthusiasm.

take care...

Anonymous said...

I'm getting mine later today. Nice review. I read about this problem with the calendar on a forum - howardforums.com. People there assure me that the notes are in sync, just in another section for the item - description or smth like that. Will test it out and post.

Sergiu

Anonymous said...

So I got the device, and after playing around with it, I discovered that the notes of calendar items are synched into "Despription" on the phone. Alas, it is not possible to synch the notes in the To-Dos on the buit-in program.

Sergiu

Anonymous said...

QYH841 You have a talant! Write more!

Anonymous said...

This phone has some flaws:
- slow (from 2 sec to half minute to open menu, for example)
- non-windows will only see the phone using bluetooth. Major turn down on being on the road and using the device as a laptop modem, as having bluetooth on both realy drains the bateries.
- badly lit keyboard.
- NO menu shortcuts. You cant press the menu key and some number combination as you do w/ other nokiaa phones. Even the menu items being in same dispoition as the blued keys.
- did i mention slow?
- the batery is weird. Some days i talk a lot and it last two days. Sometimes it stay locked in my pocket, with zero use and the batery cant handle a full day. Now im using edge a lot and talking a little and its lasting three days already.
- no fucking copy paste between apps.
- no fuking undo on text fields. On calendar description, i erased an address, loked for undo, when i didnt find pressed the red key.. To my surprise, even doing that saved the change!