Sunday, February 10, 2008

MacVim binary for Leopard

Some time ago, I build a binary of MacVim for Leopard, as I couldn't find one online. I suggested that I could make it available online if someone is in the need, but didn't got any requests until now.

As I now got a request, my build of MacVim is available! The version of vim in this build is 7.1.156. So far, that's good enough for me. If I upgrade later on, I'll provide a new diskimage! The binary was build on a MacBook Pro running Leopard. I have not made any attempt making a universal binary, so dependent on how the default build of MacVim is set up, it may or may not work on a powerpc.

If you find it useful, feel free to drop me a comment!

Take care,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello mate and thanks for this binary!

I tried it but it crashes with this error...

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found

I copied mvim to /usr/local/bin and MacVim to /Applications... am I doing something wrong?

Cheers!

Åsmund Ødegård said...

This is actually a strange thing. I have seen Leopard computers without this file (/usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib) also in the past, but all my Leopards does have the file.

It could be that this is a file that is installed as part of Xcode, but I find that rather strange. I am pretty sure the file originate from Apple at least, as I have found it on my computers almost right after a clean install. Have to keep looking to find out what's going on with that.

In order to fix this for computers like yours, I have to compile a binary with this lib linked statically. Maybe I'll do that in the past, but don't hold your breath.

Anonymous said...

That's weird... and I installed Xcode.

Maybe I should try to compile it.
To enable Python do I need to do something like: ./configure --with-python=yes ?

I'm sort of new to Unix but learning with my Mac and an old box loaded with FreeBSD. Playing with both through NFS, SSH, Apache, etc.; compiling my own stuff and configuring it has been a wicked learning experience.

I hope my english is not that bad ;)

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the MacVim wiki I found how to configure it:

./configure --enable-gui=macvim --enable-pythoninterp

Another use I found for the Python-Vim couple is having the Processing0135 reference handy.

You can find the highlighting file and ftplugin here:

http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2115

Saludos,