Monday, October 24, 2005

Linux on Shuttle SN25P

Hi there,

I got my new Shuttle SN25P at work today, and want to load it with linux. The computer comes equipped with a AMD 3500+ 2.2GHz processor, 2GB of memory and a 250GB maxtor SATA disk from the pc-pusher. They have also put an Geforce 6600 something graphics adapter into it.

As a long-time Debian fan, I of course wanted to load it with that. Of course, I know of the, should we say, not so appealing situation with Debian and AMD64, but thought I'll be fine with the glitches that might appear, and eventually some manual work. Now, I found a unofficial sarge netinst image for AMD64, as well as a testing or sid netinst image. To start out easy, I head for sarge. Everything seems fine during the install process, but after a reboot I discovered that the included kernel was not able to properly detect the ethernet card included on the mainboard as part of the nForce4 chipset. Not very usefull with a netinstall image then. So, the sid-image next (it was labeled as sid, but from what I could see during install it's more like a etch image). This time the ethernet card was detected properly, but the installer was heavily broken. For instance, busybox was missing in the target system during installation of package, such that unpacking and installation of packages was impossible. After spending a good hour, trying to put in the necessary stuff from the host (boot) system, I just figured out that this was not the "right way".

To make the long story short - I grabbed the latest ubuntu for AMD64, slipped it in, booted, waited, and had a working system.

While I kind of want Debian where I know all the tricks of the trade, I guess I'll stick with ubuntu for a while, at least until Debian can get something supported out there for AMD64. Hopefully, the unstable also will be useable at that time - as I use unstable on all my x86-32 computers. I'm happy to do the upgrade from stable to unstable on anything, but it is important that I can get a working install at least with network and a compiler, possibly some X11, but that's not significant to get started.

Tomorrow I have to see if I can get the ubuntu install to be something like how I want it, I guess I can. But there are some stuff to sort out still, like sound support. So there will probably be a followup on this.

take care,

No comments: