Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Linux on a G5 PowerMac

I finally wanted to put linux on my G5 PowerMac, as I see my main linux computer today, a laptop, soon will be gone, replaced with a smaller and sweater laptop (the Fujitsu Siemens P1510). As I now have the Shuttle SN25P at the office, I'll also need a stationary computer at home running Linux. Don't get me wrong, the Mac OS X system is a decent system. Unfortunately, it's not up to my standards for doing real work.

This should be an easy task, right. I already have a free external firewire disk, and my intention was to load Linux on that one. Inserted the ubuntu cd (read the story on the Shuttle to get why I just started out with ubuntu), and keep going. Right. Tap, tap, tap, enter, enter, enter, ooopss. I accidentally erased the MacOSX partition instead of repartitioning the external drive. So, thats an extreme makeover for my MacOSX installation. Anyway, most important stuff I have elsewhere, so no big deal. So, took two steps back, installed Tiger on the internal drive, and went back to my original quest. Installation on the external drive went just fine, up to the point where the bootloader, yaboot, is to be installed. It can't be installed on the external firewire drive, at least not from the ubuntu installer. Another couple of steps back.

Next try, go for a split of the internal system. So, I install Tiger again on a smaller partition, leaving a spaceious 80GB towards the end of the drive for Linux. Bahh.. The ubuntu installers is unable to find the free partition and install there. So, I figured out I should start with partitioning from the linux side. So I did - removed the Tiger again, created partitions for Linux at the end of the disk, installed ubuntu. Only to discover that the mac disk utility is unable to create HFS+ partition in the free space for Tiger. I lost counting, but had to destroy everything once more.

This time I did some googling, especially on the Debian installer documentation for PPC. There I got the following recipe: Start with installation of MacOSX, leave free space for Debian at the beginning of the disk. Then, install MacOSX, and finally install Debian.

So, now I will try that and see how it goes. Btw, the one time I actually got ubuntu installed on the internal drive (alone, no MacOSX present) I was unable to boot it, because the SATA drivers was not loaded in the kernel at boottime. I guess I need to use initrd or something, but have to figure that out later on.

On to the next install, I'll see you all later :-)

No comments: