Friday, July 23, 2021

Linux, B&W and "just works" moment

I got my pair of the new B&W PI7 ear buds today. The main way of using them is of course through Bluetooth on the phone, which works just fine. But the case also got a nice new feature - you can plug sound output from anything (usb or audio jack) into the charging case, which then transmit sound to the headphones. Since bluetooth can be a bit hit and miss with linux, I just plugged the case into my desktop pc running Debian, using the supplied usb-c to usb-c cable. And it just worked! The case pops up in the pulseaudio mixer as an output, and I can play right away from Spotify. 

A simple thing, but also proof that Linux has come a long way. I will of course also try to connect the headset to Linux using bluetooth, but I'm saving that for laptop use. 

 

(Update on 7. August)

Got around to test the buds the more regular way today, using Bluetooth on linux. Pairing and playing still just works. This is as it should be of course, but it's still something to take note of as some other brands makes the process a bit more bumpy. So far I have only tested sound out; I'll update when I've tested the mics as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice!

My Sennheiser airbuds work nicely over bluetooth with Fedora Linux, but having the option to connect using usb-c must be a great advantage if you don't want the hassle of pairing.

Long time since last time you blogged!

-Alex