Wednesday, November 28, 2007

MacVim on Leopard

I had some issues with the Gvim from Macvim.org, related to the python-version linked in that version of Vim. There is also a version of vim delivered with MacOSX Leopard, but that version does not have the python bindings.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered the MacVim at http://code.google.com/p/macvim/, and when I discovered the python-issues today I figured I could try that vim. Unfortunately, the binary that is available there is built against python2.3 (Tiger), and I like to use the python2.5 on Leopard. Luckily, there are some nice instructions in the wikipages! Without much trouble, I was able to build my very own Leopard MacVim with python2.5.

If someone need a binary, just tell me - I can share!

Btw, if you wonder why I wanted a vim with python2.5, check this page: http://djcraven5.blogspot.com/2006/10/send-gmail-message-from-vim.html. Now I have libgmail in my python2.5 environment, a python2.5 enabled MacVim, and I can send email right from my editor. Neat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you post the binary?

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask the same. Any chance you'll be posting the binary?

Åsmund Ødegård said...

Hi folks,

The MacVim binary is actually posted here long time ago, but I should have edited this post as well!

Search for macvim on this blog, and you'll find it - but I'll dig out the link also (posting from my nokia e90 right now...)

Take care.

Åsmund Ødegård said...

Here is the binary:

http://www.simula.no/%7Eaasmundo/tmp/macvim.7.1.dmg

It's an intel-only build!