Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nokia E61i and FoneLink

Today, there was a post on JKonTheRun about a product named FoneLink. This is supposed to be a better piece of software for syncing information between a Mac and a Symbian S60 based phone.

As I have both a Mac (actually, a couple of them) and the Nokia E61i, I wanted to give it a run. I grabed the demo version at the webpage. Installation was OSX-smooth as usual, and then I launched the application. And, man, this was a smooth experience. It quickly figured out which was the relevant phone among my bluetooth connections, and started collecting information after my confirmation that this was the right device to collect from. It went stright away making a backup of all the information in the phone, but it is also possible to put the backup procedure into the background to perform other tasks at the same time.

I just mess around in the application for a while. This works really smooth, and seems to be so much nicer than the iSync. If I can get this to sync my Mac and the Phone regularly whenever those are close to each other bluetooth-wise, I think this is a keeper.

For those who like to know such things - the notes in events and todos does not seems to be synced over to the phone with this application either. Have to look more carefully into that (and have not got around to test papyrus yet, as suggested in comments here).

This was just a short notice, I have to go to bed now. More on FoneLink if I buy it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandus

I would love to give you a free activation key for FoneLink ;-) Can you mail me at fuellemann [at] novamedia.de ?

All the best

Jan Fuellemann | nova media

Anonymous said...

Mandus, thanks for the heads up on software, I bought it, had the phone two days and could not get it to sync with my Mac.
Now I can.
Thanks from another believer in Jesus.

Unknown said...

Hey, could you email this code too please if you don't mind. Thanks, A.

Unknown said...

Hey Mandus,

Any chance you could email me that code too please, just to make sure it works. I don't mind buying it after if I am sure it works with my phone (Samsung Soul).
Many thanks, A.

Åsmund Ødegård said...

Hi,

unfortunately I don't have a code to mail you. It's been a while since I tested this; I moved on :)