Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Just a few more words on the new computer

Now the new PowerMac have been in the house for a good week. I just have to admit that the Apple people have done a very fine job!

First the hardware - it is simply great. Powerful, without much noise, rock stable, nice looking

Then the MacOSX. With just a few days tweaking, it start feeling like linux, maybe with a slightly nicer graphical appearance. I have all the programs I use on a regular basis already, except my mailer, evolution, but I can do without it, both the included Mail program and thunderbird can do a good job. I tested the first version of OSX a couple of years ago, and was not very satisfied with unix part of it, and not the stability either.

Now, it feels like unix, which mean I feel like home. And it is more stable.

If I just could tweak the Aqua "window-manager" to accept the keybindings I regulary use, that will be something. For an entertainment machine and some work at home, this computer can do the job anyway, but for doing real programming work, I will still stick to my linux :-)

No comments: